Thursday, March 1, 2012

Dear Best Friend,

     So, right now I'm just starting to read Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespear, and so fa it's really good. I can honestly say that it does take a few tries and rereads to fully understand and grasp each line, but once you get it, it has a great use of literary devices and plot. William Shakespear uses puns and metaphors and many other literary devices that might not be as easily seen because of it's complex language, but it is still used. Over all, it's so far a really great book to read.
     So far, there are the Montegues and the Capulets, and i really don't understand why they're holding such strong grudges over each other. They never actually tell you about the starting of this long hate between the two groups, but it must have been something big because it seems like there's no going back. It does confuse me a little bit, because from the outside, all I see are two families that hate each other, but I do sort of get a sense of why they might hate each other. It becomes pretty clear, their differences and everything. How they are basically opposite. The Capulets are rich and traditional, while the Monetgues are poor and basically live as they go. It doesn't seem so surprising why they might not like each other.
     The actual text itself is sort of difficult to understand. Like I said, it might take you a few reads to actually get the concept clear in your head. Mostly because WIlliam Shakespear uses this old time English that was used during that time, so you can't actually blame him. But, times have changed and language is really different. The have slang and terms that share the same meaning, but just seem more old, and slightly more clever. Using coil instead of garbage and coilers instead of garbagemen is really different, mostly because now a days there aren't any coilers, it's just not something we do now.
     The book Romeo and Juliet is already really hooking, even though I can barely understand half of what it is saying. But already I can see myself wanting to know what happens in between and how it gets to Romeo and Juliet killing themselves. It makes me curious, also I feel so much smarter reading in old English Language. :)

             Well, I guess I'll talk to you later,
                                Siena:)

No comments:

Post a Comment